Teaching English to Child Speakers of other Languages (TECSOL)
The Dominion TECSOL course is offered to non-native speakers of English who would like to learn the fundamental concepts of teaching English to children 3-12 years of age. It also prepares you to take the Cambridge TKT YL (Teaching Knowledge Test for Young Learners).
- Language teaching methodology: focus on teaching techniques to develop child learners’ language and skills.
- Child psychology & language development: learn the importance of knowing what child learners are like and what stage they are at as they grow.
- Peer teaching practice: practise teaching techniques in the group with comprehensive feedback from your tutor.
- Practicum at Primary School or Kindergarten: experience teaching and learning in a typical setting.
- Language development: improve your own language skills by focusing on what English sentences to use in the classroom for instructions, praise, routines and classroom management situations.
- Phonics: focus on the sounds to spelling relationship to support students in their pronunciation.
- Materials and activities for teaching children: analyse teaching resources and how to use activities in future lessons
- Cambridge TKT YL: prepare for the TKT YL. Taking the test is optional, but recommended as TKT YL is internationally recognised.
Entry Requirements: pass the Dominion TECSOL entry test or IELTS level 5.
Start Dates: 5 March, 3 June, 12 August, 21 October 2019
Course Length: 5 weeks
Class Size: maximum 12
Hours: 35 hours per week (30 hours in class plus 5 hours supervised self study)
Exam: conducted at school at the end of the course