Covid-19 Guidance on repatriation of international students
The latest Ministry of Education bulletin has been released to clarify the situation for international students who are either booked on a commercial flight and want to know how they can get to a main centre to get that flight (or if they can), or are hearing that a repatriation flight is on its way.
Updated 1 April 2020 11:30 AM
Covid-19 and temporary school closure update
Dear Dominion students,
There is a lot of uncertainty in the world at the moment surrounding the coronavirus and things are constantly changing, both here in NZ and in your home countries. We know it must be a difficult time for you being away from your family and friends, but we want to make sure that you stay safe and healthy, and have all the information you need. In this page we will outline a number of things that may be useful for you.
- Dominion will be closed for a minimum of 4 weeks. Contact details during this time are:
Mobile: Principal – Andrew Fisher – 027 542 5500
- For updates please go to:
Dominion English Schools’ website: https://www.dominion.school.nz/covid-19
Dominion English Schools’ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dominionenglishschool
Dominion English Schools’ facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dominionenglishschool
- NZ will be in Level 4 Alert from 11.59pm on Wednesday, which means the following:
Range of measures can be applied locally or nationally:
- People instructed to stay at home
- Educational facilities closed
- Businesses closed except for essential services (e.g. supermarkets, pharmacies, clinics) and lifeline utilities
- Rationing of supplies and requisitioning of facilities
- Travel severely limited
- Major reprioritisation of healthcare services
- No indoor or outdoor events or gatherings
- Only spend time with those who you are in self-isolation with and keep your distance from all others at all times
- You can go for a walk/run/ride or other physical activity alone or with people in your household but always keep a 2 metre distance from other people at all times.
4. Visas: it is best to check the immigration website for the latest information but at 4pm 24/320 the following was the latest update https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/coronavirus-update-inz-response
5. Leaving NZ early? If you have decided to return to your country before your Dominion course ends, please contact us as soon as possible on the above contact details.
6. Follow safe hygiene practices to avoid spreading the virus:
- hand hygiene – that is, washing hands regularly with soap and water, or cleansing with hand sanitiser
- staying at home if you are sick
- coughing or sneezing into a tissue or your elbow and then performing hand hygiene
- cleaning surfaces regularly
- practice social distancing – keep 2 metres apart
7. Feeling sick? Tell your host family or contact us on the Dominion contact details. If you have a sore throat or a fever contact the HEALTHLINE 0800 611 116 immediately.
8. Finishing before the 17/4? If you are finishing before Friday 17 April, we are preparing your final certificate and report and it will be scanned and emailed to you on Wednesday 25 April.
9. Online English Study resources: Keep studying so that you don’t lose all that English you have learnt at school. Here is a link (click here) for you to access a number of online resources to help you continue your English study during the 4-week closure. Have a look at a few different websites and find one or two that you like. There is a Self-study outline for you to download or print. This is for you to plan your timetable for the week so that you can manage your study better. Try to study 2 or 3 grammar points a week using your AM coursebook as a guide and add in a variety of online exercises to practice further. In the afternoon, focus more on skills as you would normally do in PM1 class. You could even choose a topic that you like for each week. Don’t forget you can use your mobiles to message or call your classmates and friends, which will be good speaking and listening practice as well. You can also click on Resources Online at the top on the home page to access the resources.
10. Student fee enquiries? Please contact us on the Dominion contact details.
11. Regular contact: During the 4-week school closure, we will contact you regularly to check on you and make sure you have no problems. However, if you have any concerns please contact us on the Dominion contact details.
That’s all for now but we will keep you updated when necessary. Please stay safe and follow the government level 4 alert controls.
All the best
The Dominion Team
Updated 25 March 2020 5:00 PM