- Dominion offers counsellors and mentors to help all students
- We have carefully selected, experienced families for students under 18
- Homestay accommodation is compulsory for all students under 18
- All families are police vetted and regularly inspected
At Dominion English Schools, we see students as individuals and the welfare of our students is very important to us. From the minute you arrive at school you are treated as a member of the family.
Support for New Students:
- We can arrange airport transfers to ensure students are met with a welcoming smile and taken to their accommodation safely. We can also arrange airport assistance to help them with checking-in and finding their departure gates on the way home.
- Each new student is provided with a full orientation on their first day to give them vital information about the school, their classes and life in New Zealand.
- Each student is given a comprehensive welcome pack, including a student handbook which provides key contact details, information on living in a homestay, cultural considerations and even some help with Kiwi slang!
- New students are asked to attend a meeting on the Thursday of their first week. At this meeting, we ensure students are satisfied with their classes and are settling in well at school.
Support for Current Students:
- We have a team of student counsellors and mentors who can speak a number of languages from Japanese to Spanish to Arabic.
- Our Student Welfare Officer offers 24-hour support to students in urgent need.
Support at Home:
- On the rare occasion that a student is unhappy with their homestay, we will find a new family for them free of charge, providing the student notifies the Student Welfare Officer before the Wednesday of their first week.
- We have long standing relationships with most of our homestays and have been placing students with them for many years.
- All homestay families are police vetted and regularly inspected.
Support for Younger Students:
- Our teenage students are placed in carefully selected homestays.
- Airport transfers and airport assistance are provided for teen students.
- Many of our teen class teachers are high school trained and therefore know exactly how to work with teens and keep them engaged.
Support for Older Students:
- Our 50 plus students are placed in homestay accommodation without small children so they can relax and enjoy their free time in New Zealand.
- We also arrange regular social outings with other mature students and members of staff.
Support on the Pathway to Further Study:
- Our academic staff are available to discuss your study goals and options at any time.
- We can provide information and guidance for students who wish to do further study in New Zealand. We have a number of pathway partners we can work with to provide Pathway Visas for students wanting to go on to further study.
- We can provide help and support if you want to find work in New Zealand.